- 125g butter
- 350g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 4 eggwhites
- 2 x 100g block of soft-centred dark chocolate
- cocoa powder, to serve
- thick cream or ice-cream, to serve
- Grease a 12 x 3/4-cup capacity muffin or friand pan.
- Melt butter with chocolate over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring. Cool.
- Beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until pale. Add warm chocolate mixture and almond meal. Gently fold with a large metal spoon.
- Beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until combined. Fold into chocolate mixture in 2 batches, using a metal spoon.
- Half-fill muffin pan with mixture. Top each with 2 pieces of soft-centred chocolate and remaining batter. Cover with plastic. Freeze for 1 hour or until is solid.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Remove plastic from moulds and place into hot oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is firm. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Sprinkle with cocoa and serve immediately with cream or ice-cream.
Super Food Ideas – July 2003 , Page 73
Recipe by Janelle Bloom & Dixie Elliott